Friday, February 15, 2008

The Final Authority

From the beginning, I can see that this study is going to challenge me. I often feel incompetent when it comes to scripture, and that's a direct result of the fact that I don't immerse myself in His word often enough. It's my job, my charge, my duty to prove myself through proficiency in Bible knowledge, and I'm falling short.
My first thought was of the song we sing at devo (I think it's called The Stand?). There's one particular line that says "Jesus controls my destiny." I think that's a simplified expression of His authority. He is in charge of my life and my future. He is benevolent and provides us grace and mercy when we fail, but His word is the law of my life and eternity.
Whoever rejects God's word is subject to judgment, and not just any judgment, but of your soul's eternal salvation or condemnation. God sent Jesus on His behalf; obviously He would like to see everyone come to Him and be saved. However, the only way to know Him and what He commands is to know His word. And the only way to know His word is to read, study, and meditate on the words that Jesus spoke.
I have too many opinions for my own good, but the example that comes to mind is my own. Once, my friend's dad came to worship service wearing a button-down and khaki shorts. Not exactly the attire you typically see around Beltline Sunday mornings. However, one of our elders proceeded to call him and "request" thay he dress appropriately from now on. First of all, I understand the desire to present yourself well before God, but the Bible does not include a mandatory dress code. I think we as a collective body have to remember that judgment does not belong to us; God has the final say. His authority is definitie and absolute.

No comments: