Sunday, February 17, 2008

Skill Needed, part 1

Let me start out by saying that I am not in the correct frame of mind for this study tonight. Driving home was apparently more draining than I knew. I'm exhausted, and I feel that it's very important to be contemplative and thoughtful when considering these questions. So, I'm going to take a shot at question 4, call it a night, and think about the rest tomorrow.
I think the most important difference between the Old and New Testament is the way God communicates. For the entire Old Testament, God speaks to the patriarchs and prophets and kings, guiding Israel through them. He unveils His will through the Law. However, as we all know, there is something missing from the Israelites' religion; they never get it quite right. So, in the New Testament, God voice is heard precious few times, and rather than send His people the Law, God gives the ultimate sacrifice of atonement. He sends His will to us via His Son. Jesus commands our lives, and He rules us through love. We are saved by grace, not by our works. We can never achieve salvation through a checklist of do's and don't's. We are condemned, death row inmates, if you will, but Jesus takes our place. It is only by His grace and love and mercy that we may have life. And in that sacrifice is the difference between the Old and New Testaments found.

2 comments:

Sayran said...

Hey that's what I said too! I guess we got that one right! Do we still need a mature Christian to check our answers? (lol)

kellie.holcomb said...

I think we count...But regardless it's definitely something we can discuss! If there's any doubt, we'll just ask Jim. :)