Monday, February 18, 2008

Sound Doctrine

Fear. It is what holds me back from sharing the Gospel. I know that seems ambiguous, but that's because it is. Sometimes I fear rejection, sometimes I fear I'll say the wrong thing, sometimes I fear the vulnerability required to effectively share my faith.
1. Myself. 2. My teaching. This is part of my fear of vulnerability. Sometimes I get the (completely wrong) idea that in order to save or reach someone, I have to be perfect. I know full well that I'm not, so I'm afraid to come across as a hypocrit.
Sound doctrine is so much of what we've talked about thusfar. It's being completely aware of the will of God. I think obviously, by our own admissions, many religious people think that reading the Bible is more of a bonus, a perk, an extracurricular. Honestly, I'm not even confident that I know how to read the Bible. However, if we don't study the Word extensively, we'll never actually know what He says. So, it's important that we read, study, and understand His commands for our sake and the sakes of others we have the potential to reach. Also, by holding sound doctrine, we can refute those who contradict. This reminds me of the topic of conversation on Rick & Bubba this morning. It's long to go into now, but they talked about the difference between discernment and judgment. Very good conversation, and pertinent.
I think it's obvious that those who don't believe in the truth of scripture are scorned in the eyes of God. Honestly, I got a little nervous when I read the part that says "he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words..." because it sounds a little too much like me. But, I think the key difference is that my intent is to refine my faith and grow in the truth of His Word.

No comments: