Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grace that teaches

Summary of my thoughts: For some reason, this is a difficult thought process for me. I feel like a kid in class who knows the answer to the teacher's question, but can't stop second-guessing. It's like all of the obvious answers are coming to mind, but they just don't seem good enough. I think God gave us His grace because He loves us as His children, and as His children, we have been set aside for good works. Almost like a family business, He has provided us with a mission, to both do good things and to not do bad things. (I realize that is a vast oversimplification.) To me, saying "yes" or "no" fosters the idea of a godly checklist: "yes" I read my Bible, "yes" I prayed today, "no" I didn't lie when Mom asked me ______. I think grace and our "education" goes deeper than that. We obey God rather than the world, because He has blessed us so greatly. We say "no" to the world not out of obligation, but out of a humble desire to thank the Lord for His mercy.

No comments: